The Travel Grapevine



Welcome to a world of facinating destinations, exciting adventures, breathtaking views and intriguing stories. I invite you to join in the grapevine and share your stories as well. It has been my profound pleasure to have had the opportunity to experience some of the wonders of the travel world. It is not my intention to brag, advertise my favorites, or air my grievances from rough roads along the way. I only want to share my passion for the art of traveling as well as the variety of tastes, senses and experiences that make each destination on this globe unique. I hope you will find interest in my current adventures and indulge me in some of the many fond memories.



My desire is for this to be a forum for fascinating travel stories. Sharing your stories and experiences and passing along the helpful insights you pick-up along the way are all part of fun of travel. This is my contribution. I hope you find it useful and it inspires you to explore the world yourself and share it with others.


Saturday, October 2, 2010

Autumn in Aspen

I was back in Aspen two weeks ago, and I really must say it is one of the most beautiful time of year to visit. In all of the 26 years I have been in the travel business, I have never had a 10-day stretch of time with the most beautiful weather! We had beautiful skies, mild temperatures and starlit nights. We stayed at the exclusive Little Nell Hotel, right at the base of Aspen Mountain. Their rennovations are beautiful, the food was fabulous, and the service level, outstanding. They are primed and ready for the busy ski season.

September is the time of year the Aspen's start turning their amazing shades of yelllow. The slopes of the mountains seem to be set ablaze as if lit from inside. What really makes the photos stunning in my opinion is the contrast between the bright yellow aspens and the deep green pines scattered among them.


 

It's widely known that historically, Aspen was founded by the silver mining industry. The rocks in these moutains are full of mineral deposits which, during the rush, made a lot of people very wealthy.  The stories and facts of the time are fascinating.  What is not as widely known is the slopes on both sides of the Aspen Valley are full of mineshafts and tunnels. I spend one morning in Compromise Mine, right on the face of Aspen Mountain. Experiencing this active silver mine added a whole new aspect to my view of this mountain...that being the characteristics of Swiss cheese!

Mine View of Aspen
Two Miners - one experienced, one not!
 
Ye Olde Mine Shack

The way in and out
There are just some locations on earth that ooze the majesty of God's handiwork. The Maroon Bells is one of those places. On a sunny and calm Autumn day, before the crowds arrive, the beauty of the scenery will take your breath away! Even though it's a bit tricky timing the changing of the leaves, hours of the national park, and the weather, it's worth the effort.  It's hard not to take a postcard picture.






Another photo opportunity not to be missed is the Snowmass Hot Air Balloon Festival. The scenes are definitly worth getting up early! I don't know which would be more beautiful, seeing them all from the ground, or taking in the view from the basket.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment